This timeline is designed to keep you on track while planning a birthday party. This way nothing is forgotten, everything gets accomplished, and there is no last minute running around. This is as stress-free as it gets. Now if only cleaning up after the party was so easy….
6 to 8 weeks before the big day!
- Choose the date and time of the party.
- Check with all important guests that they have the date available.
- Create the guest list.
- Book the location of the party and make a deposit or hire any entertainers for a party at home.
- Choose the theme of the party and start thinking of cute ways to incorporate this theme.
- If you are ordering anything personalized, such as invitations, banners, or napkins, then place the order now so that everything arrives in time for the party.
4 to 6 weeks before the festivities!
- Address the invitations and mail out. Specify an RSVP date.
- Start shopping for your party supplies and favors. Try to stick with the theme!
- It is a good idea to keep the guest list handy to record responses when people call.
2 to 4 weeks before the celebration!
- Plan all activities including crafts, games, and other entertainment.
- Purchase all necessary supplies for all activities.
- Create a few CD’s for background music during the party.
- Decide on the menu. This should be based on the time of day the party will be held.
- Place an order for any catering and/or birthday cake.
The week before!
- Start cleaning your house now. Nobody likes to rush around at the last minute!
- Call any guests that have not yet responded.
- Test out all activities with your child to make sure they are doable and fun!
The day before the big party!
- Confirm any entertainers, caterer, and birthday cake.
- Prepare any food that can be made ahead of time.
- Put together goodie bags for the kids.
- Set up any of the activities that will be out of the way until the next day.
- Charge camera and video camera batteries.
- Finish up last minute cleaning.
The day of the party!
- Finish setting up all possible activities.
- Pick up the birthday cake.
- Purchase balloons and hang some on the mailbox for guests to see.
- Hang decorations and set out plates, napkins, cups, and silverware for food.
- Prepare a spot for gifts.
- Place the candles and matches near the cake and paper and pen near the gifts.
- Make sure your birthday boy or girl is all ready as well as any siblings.
- Set up the food.
Lastly, have a great time!